Three streamlined two-seaters were constructed and built by Ferdinand Porsche from Volkswagen parts for a proposed race from Berlin to Rome in 1938 - 39. There were lots of revolutionary features: to make it as streamlined as possible the wheels were enclosed giving lower drag even than the post-war Porsche 356 and plastic windows were used to save weight. The Porsche Typ 64 is very clean, aerodynamically, with no protuberances for bumpers, windows etc. The bodywork was contracted out to the Stuttgart firm of Reutter, experienced in forming beautiful shapes out of aluminium which was chosen to save weight. Larger valves were fitted and compression raised.The race never came about.
Car Number 1 rolled out from the new Porsche Werk 1 in Zuffenhausen in August 1939. It was unpainted and featured only one wiper, mounted above the windscreen. It was used by the Porsche family during the war until it was crashed. It had a small divided cooler grille and the rear lights were placed on the rear bumpers.
Car Number 2 was usually driven by Ferdinand Porsche and his driver Josef Goldinger. It was used as an experimental vehicle right up to 1945 and often seen in the company of military designs. It was destroyed by US troops in 1945. It was painted black and the front lights were covered during wartime. It featured two wipers above the windscreen and the rear lights were placed at the side of the bumpers.
Car Number 3 was also used by the Porsche family during the war. It was too silver, but featured a larger cooler grille and two wipers underneath the windscreen. By 1949, with Porsche building its 356 sports cars, it was sold to Otto Mathe´ from Innsbruck in Austria. The car had been fitted with hydraulic brakes and Ferry Porsche had a Porsche badge put on the front before parting with it. Mathe´ was converting the car to right-hand drive as he had lost his right arm in a pre-war motorcycle accident. He drove in a number of events, the highpoints being a class win in the 1959 Alpine Ralley and the historic race in Laguna Seca 1982.
|history Porsche Typ 60K10 ( Typ 64 )|
Engine: rear engine 4 valves 985cc
Kph: 150 at 3400rpm
Fuel tank: 50l
|Porsche Typ 60K10 Versuchswagen 1940|
|All 3 versions are available by Lovespeed|
|Porsche Typ 60K10 Laguna Seca 1982|
|Porsche Typ 60K10 Präsentation 1939|